DHAKA, Oct 5, 2016 (AFP) – A Bangladeshi court Wednesday formally exonerated a student at a Canadian university of involvement in a deadly cafe siege, two months after he was arrested and charged over the carnage.
Security forces named Tahmid Hasib Khan as a suspect in the weeks following the siege at the upmarket Dhaka cafe in July when Islamist militants killed 22 mostly foreign hostages.
Khan’s family vehemently protested his innocence, saying he was in the cafe as a customer and was not connected to the five gunmen who hacked and shot to death the hostages in an attack claimed by the Islamic State group.
The court formally cleared the 22-year-old on Wednesday, three days after he was released on bail when police dropped the charges, Dhaka Metropolitan court public prosecutor Abdullah Abu said.
“He (Khan) was exempted as police had not found any evidence against him,” Abu told AFP.
“However, police today filed another case against Khan of non-cooperation with the investigators,” Abu added, although police were not going to seek his rearrest.
Khan, a University of Toronto student who was back in his homeland on leave, did not speak with reporters as he left court.
Khan and Hasnat Karim, a British national of Bangladeshi origin, were both inside the cafe when gunmen staged their raid on July 1, taking a group of mainly Western diners hostage.
But neither were seen in public after the end of the siege when commandos stormed the cafe.
Police had denied the men were in their custody before announcing on August 4 that they had been arrested.
Abu said on Wednesday that Karim, whose family has also denied his involvement, remained in jail.
Bangladesh’s national police chief has said the two had fallen under suspicion as a result of their “behaviour and actions” during the siege.
Reports in local media said Khan was seen holding a firearm and Karim strolling with the attackers on the roof.
The siege was by far the deadliest in a string of attacks claimed by Islamist groups which have blighted Bangladesh over the last three years.
The IS organisation claimed responsibility but Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s government said the attack was the work of a homegrown Islamist group.
- समस्याको जड: पहाडीया अहंकारबाद
- नयाँ शक्तिलाई सघाउन एमाले नेताले बुझाए ओलीलाई राजीनामा (राजीनामापत्रसहित)
- बाबुरामले पार्टी छाडेसँगै उनलाई समर्थन गर्नेहरु बढ्दै (सूचिसहित)
- नयाँ शक्तिलाई सघाउन उपत्यकाका विभिन्न कलेजका ४३६ विद्यार्थीले एमाओवादी छाडे (सूचीसहित
- नयाँ शक्ति निर्माणमा सहभागी हुन बाबुरामको अपिल, नेपालको माटो सुहाउँदो पार्टी बनाएर देशलाई संवृद्धि दिने उदघोष
- भ्यालेन्सिायालाई हराउदै बार्सिलोना ला लिगाको शीर्ष स्थानमा
- राजनीतिक दलकालागि अध्यक्ष, सचिव र प्रवक्तासहित ९ पदमा दरखास्त आवहान
- प्रचण्डले सांसदहरुलाई भने : माहाअभियोगको पक्षमा अभिनुस्
- दहचोकका डेढ सय नागरिकले गराए निःशुल्क स्वाश्थ्य जाँच
- प्राकृतिक सौन्दर्य
- सि.के राउतका २२ कार्यकर्ता प्रहरीको नियन्त्रणमा
- महाभियोगको प्रस्तावमाथि सदनमा कात्तिक ९ गते छलफल हुने
- कसले हान्ला लोकमान छक्का ?
- अलमलमै संविधान संशोधन प्रक्रिया