BRUSSELS, Oct 4, 2016 (AFP) – The United States is committed to the collective defence of NATO members, Secretary of State John Kerry said Tuesday in a bid to reassure European allies worried by comments by Donald Trump.
Republican presidential hopeful Trump spooked fears in eastern Europe earlier this year when he questioned Washington’s adherence to NATO’s key Article 5, which states that an attack on one member is an attack on all.
“In the United States, we will never forget that Article 5 of the North Atlantic Treaty was triggered for the first time after 9/11,” Kerry said in a speech at a think-tank in Brussels, Belgium.
“And I can assure you, that whatever you may have read in recent times, the United States will never fail to meet its own Article 5 obligations should any NATO member come under attack.”
Kerry insisted however that Russia had nothing to fear from NATO, despite rising tensions between Moscow and the West over the annexation of Crimea from Ukraine and the Syria war.
“NATO is a defensive alliance. The Russian people, in particular, should know that despite what their leaders sometimes tell them, our alliance does not seek to weaken, contain, or divide their nation,” Kerry said.
He said he had “probably spent as much time with the Russian foreign minister (Sergei Lavrov) as I have with any other foreign diplomat.”
NATO leaders agreed at a summit in July to boost their defences in the east to face an increasingly assertive Russia. Moscow has accused NATO of provocation and of trying to encircle it.
Trump said in July that in the event of a Russian attack on the Baltics, NATO’s newest members, Washington might assess whether those nations “have fulfilled their obligations to us” before deciding to come to their aid.
- समस्याको जड: पहाडीया अहंकारबाद
- नयाँ शक्तिलाई सघाउन एमाले नेताले बुझाए ओलीलाई राजीनामा (राजीनामापत्रसहित)
- बाबुरामले पार्टी छाडेसँगै उनलाई समर्थन गर्नेहरु बढ्दै (सूचिसहित)
- नयाँ शक्तिलाई सघाउन उपत्यकाका विभिन्न कलेजका ४३६ विद्यार्थीले एमाओवादी छाडे (सूचीसहित
- नयाँ शक्ति निर्माणमा सहभागी हुन बाबुरामको अपिल, नेपालको माटो सुहाउँदो पार्टी बनाएर देशलाई संवृद्धि दिने उदघोष
- ७० वर्षमा पनि पूरा भएन हुलाकी राजमार्ग, किन बन्नुपर्छ यो आयोजना ?
- यस्ता छन् कार्कीविरुद्धको महाअभियोग प्रस्तावमा आरोप, कांग्रेसमाथि सबैको नजर
- दिल्लीबाट नेपाल हेर्ने ८१ विदेशी मिसन
- गुम्ने भो एमालेको सूर्य चिह्न
- अब उपत्यकामा फोहोरबाटै बत्ती
- हट्यो अख्तियारको जासुसी संयन्त्र
- बढुवा रोकिँदा सशस्त्रमा चरम निराशा
- कुन – कुन देशका राजदूतावास छन् काठमाडौंमा ?
- कार्कीविरुद्ध महाअभियोग प्रस्ताव पेस भएपछि बोल्यो अख्तियार
- उपत्यकामा अनुदान सम्झौता सोमबारदेखि